Wednesday 16 February 2011

Pants (Tim)

I like comfy pants.  And I like clean pants, I could never wear the same pair of pants 2 days in a row - even if the previous day had been a particularly 'relaxed' one.

Sitting with the wife over a cup of coffee this afternoon, our conversation turned to pants.  I was wondering how much clothing I should carry with me on this trip, and more to the point, just how much I COULD carry with me on this trip. 
Jeans are no problem - I can make a pair of jeans last for months, but pants are a different kettle of fish.  If we are going to be away for a couple of weeks am I going to have to take 14 pairs of pants? (and of course the extra 2 pairs for emergencies..... what?..... doesn't everyone take emergency pants??)

As I say, I like comfy pants but as a consequence they can be rather baggy, and 14 pairs of baggy pants can take up a lot of space (witness my pants draw that wont close properly)  And space on the Vespa is one thing that I dont have much of.

Over our coffee Laurie and I pondered this predicament and came up with a number of potential solutions (and I am assuming that Scotty will be having the same worries so might also be grateful for these useful pants strategies);
1.  Perhaps we could start to learn to love smaller pants like thongs or Tanga briefs.  I'm always open to new experiences, but thought of wearing a thong and sitting on that vespa saddle for 5 hours makes me wince 
2.  Maybe we should take disposable paper pants with us.  This seems like a jolly good idea to me - just as long as we dont get soaked through in any down-pours
3.  Laurie was quite keen on the idea that I might take all my big (and rather old) pants with me and throw them away each day as I use them.  Maybe one day people could retrace the steps of our momentous journey by following the trail of pants that we leave on our way
4.  Laurie also thought it was a brilliant idea (of hers) that Scott and I, under the special circumstances, might simply agree that we "go commando".   I not sure when the best time might be to test this idea with Scotty.

No comments:

Post a Comment