Sunday 27 February 2011

I don't like it wet (Tim)

I gave my scooter a wash this weekend. I've never washed it before. In fact this was the first time since the resurrection that it's ever got proper wet. I was amazed at how grubby it had become - I guess most of it from the 220 mile round trip to mums a few weeks ago. So with a bucket of hot soapy water I bought her back to "show room" condition.

Every slosh of water however was a stab to the gut for me as I imagined that pesky wet stuff finding it's way into every nook, cranny, seam and weld line and settling unseen for years to come, gorging on my good metal and shitting out rust in return.
I've seen what water can do to a Vespa (and you can too at www.blackspanner.blogspot.com) and it breaks my heart to think of it happening all over again.

I washed and I rinsed and I mopped and I dried but still I was worried about those seams - so I took her for a spin to get a bit of a blow through too.

And then Scott text messages me to suggest we meet up this week;
"I'm definitely getting some earplugs. Fancy meeting for brunch in oxfordshire on weds?" he said

I text back;
"Weds sounds jolly nice. Is the weather good that day - though that said I guess I'm going to have to take the rough with the smooth eventually - yes let's do Wednesday :-) "

Scott replied;
"I have to buy a neck warmer thing before then, and some boots.... It will be fun. Scotty"

And it dawned on me that now I am committed to this ride to Italy, I have no choice about what the weather might hold in store - I'm just going to have to go with it. I'm just grateful that Scott is there to make sure "it will be fun"

So, Wednesday - a hundred mile round trip in a day. I'm quite excited :-) though I don't know about neck warmers, I'm starting to wonder about a waterproof suit :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment