Friday 8 April 2011

Ferry nice (Tim)

I am sure I'm dyslexic. While we were supposed to be looking out for the road N124, I appeared to be happy to take anything that had an N and some combination of numbers behind it. And this became a problem when ever I took the lead.
I think Scotty makes a much better navigator / leader than me - he seemed to pay attention and remember what he was looking out for.
On one occasion (I forget which particular one now) we realised that we were on the wrong road, but a quick map check showed we could hang a right hand turn in 20kms and cut across to the road we were supposed to be on. Unbeknown to us however was that this cut across included a ferry crossing. Our hearts dropped as we approached - would this incur another unwanted delay? We followed a young girl on a modern vespa to the front of the queue of vehicles waiting to cross and as the ferry docked we were rather surprised as she rode her scooter down the very narrow foot passenger standing area. We copied her lead - much to the annoyance I feel of those people who had to suffer our 2stroke smoke.
The ferry was surprisingly quick and at €1.90 a piece surprisingly good entertainment. I even gave the ticket man one of our blog badges as a mark of our appreciation

A little later while filling up at a petrol station (I love "filling up" the vespa - 5 litres at a time) a chap came over to look at our bikes. It turns out he had a 50's Vespa. He took our photograph and wished us good luck for our journey (I gave him a badge)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Guys,

    Here's the picture I took of you at the gas station:
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/206297_1608352300829_1596842411_1211883_368217_n.jpg

    And this is my 150GL from 1959
    http://www.vespissimo.com/closeup01.htm

    Have a safe ride and thanx for the badge.

    Cheers,

    Hubert

    ReplyDelete