Tuesday 5 April 2011

Why are we doing it? (Scotty)

My reason is nowhere as profound and touching as Tim's, in fact it makes me look like a bit of a self-centred arse.

I left Auckland 15 years ago to see the world, and over the past 15 years I have been to many completely awe inspiring places, and some places less than salubrious (Croydon this means you), and had some tremendous experiences. Still to this day I get excited (I rarely get excited by anything else) whenever I travel, I have fallen into being away quite frequently for work, I love it. Repeat visits, new places it's always great. However, like an ungrateful teenager, I always want more. 

Since I have been going to Crea Conference, this is the fifth time, flying by Scumair (www.ryanair.com) herded through Stansted like cattle every year just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of creative thinking at all. I remember Tim and some of the Royal Mail Innovation Lab team were trying to sort out an old bus or similar to drive down in, this did appeal immensely. Then I had the thought of taking Joanie and the kids down with me in the car. But they would end up being bored witless on the drive, and would take more than 3 days with them, and it didn't match school holidays. While at the conference I end up working 18 hour days, so no fun there either. It would turn into a two and half week never again holiday.

I also feel that spontaneity seems to be a dark and distant memory for me. My only spontaneous action these days is to choose what to have for lunch each day, which hasn't worked out terribly well as I am currently the size of a small house. When Tim first suggested maybe going to Sestri on his scooter, the idea lightbulb went on over my head, so I mulled it over for the afternoon, then without consulting with Joanie, worrying about work commitments, reviewing our terminal lack of cash, or anything else logical my reply was:

"I'm going to buy a PX125.  Let's have a Franco-Italian road trip adventure in April.
Scotty"

And Morley rather than telling me he had re-thought his previous email replied:

"I like your attitude :-)  Yes I would defo be up for that - you would be a great scooter mate
We have to write a book out of it
So have you seen one? How much are you looking to spend?
Tim :-)"

And that was it. I still feel like have been entirely unfair to Joanie ('Apologies in a blog don't count' – I am currently her least favourite husband) and the kids, and my long suffering clients, but it's an adventure, and everybody needs an adventure every now and then. There has been the high cost of it all, but I could keep on putting this off indefinitely if that was the reason, having two kids and living in London will absorb all your money no matter what you do. And who could turn down the opportunity to ride across Europe with an awesome bloke like Tim on the B roads of Holland and explore northern Italy on a pair of noisy old Vespas? I certainly couldn't. I appreciate the fact that I sound as shallow as a muddy puddle, but I can't wait for the next 36 hours to pass and then I can jump on the A12 and see London disappear in my mirrors and start this journey.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Yes - I meant all that too.
    Ive just re-read my last posting and I think I must have gone all gay for a moment!
    Tim ;-)

    ReplyDelete