Friday 8 April 2011

Rattled by rattles

Scott and I appear to be quite well suited with our driving styles and energy. I think Scott would probably prefer to ride a little faster if he wasn't with a pussy like me - I don't like to ride too fast- I worry about falling off and I worry about that little piston. I have touched and cared for each and every component in that engine and just thinking about the stress it must all be under when hammering along takes a lot of the pleasure out of the ride for me.
When I started out on this trip I thought my ideal speed was about 40 mph but today I've been troubled by 2 very distinct rattles and as a result have found that a speed of about 47 is just about right to keep both of them to a minimum and thus minimise my stress.
These rattles annoy me intensely. Not only do they constantly jangle your nerves, but they are completely unidentifiable. I obviously can't investigate them while riding and I can't find them while stationary. My sense is that a nut and bolt is coming loose and seeings as I am totally responsible for the tightness of each and every bolt on the scooter since it's rebuild I feel this is a reflection on me. I have had plenty of time today to ponder on those rattles. I wonder if it's a rattle that is going to result in a simple paint chaffing or a catastrophic falling off of something vital?

1 comment:

  1. So touched by your tenderness about those pistons.

    Pedro suggests that little rattle might the lug nut he dropped in your hub-cap when he was visiting (hee hee)

    ReplyDelete