Thursday 21 April 2011

Post Adventure Malaise (Scotty)

I arrived home (After a few calls at clients across London) at 18:15 last night, elapsed distance 981 miles, door to door. On an old Vespa. In seven riding days. It was great to see the family again, the boys have both had haircuts and look super grown-up, and Sam the 23 month old is now running everywhere and walking up steps rather than crawling. It was a good feeling to have made it home, and unpack the scooter and give Joanie and the boys a big hug.

This morning, however, I just couldn't get my act together, there are bits of scooter-journey-paraphernalia lying about poor Joanie's clean house. I couldn't find my work stuff, it took me ages to iron my shirt, it was all a mess. When I fired up the beast to head off to my first call in Hammersmith, the traffic was yucky and riding through Richmond Park didn't even cheer me up as it usually does. The post trip blues have struck majorly. I'm now sitting in an air-conditioned office with a couple of Macs on my desk and a huge pile of work to do. All I want to do is go downstairs, jump on the Vespa find some windy roads and stop when I run out of Britain. It would be nice at the coast today. Concentration is at a very low ebb.

That, or now that Tim is 150 miles away our bro-mance is over.

Perhaps a bit of both.

Perhaps time to start day dreaming about the next adventure.

3 comments:

  1. oh Scott, I haven't been riding a vespa through Europe but I feel just the same (things messy around the house, 've been to clients and so on, but concentration is sitting next to my suitcase on the floor).
    I just noticed, while reading, I was mirroring your photo, sitting in exactly the same bored attitude.
    planning makes me happy: Marta in Madrid, Claire up there, a friend in Germany? who knows! If I make it to London I'll ask you to lend me your vespa :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely day dreaming: check 0:53 and 1:25
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RxHEXoX824

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're sounding a bit like a hobbit, you. Will you have to take your precious and disappear again soon?

    ReplyDelete