Tuesday 5 April 2011

Where are we going? (Tim)

Its not so much about the big picture - we know where we are going at that scale, but its at the local scale that's got us flustered.  These maps are doing my head in.
If I was driving a car, I would simply get onto the main roads and follow the signs.  But on an old, slow and wobbly Vespa we want to stay off the main roads, and enjoy the journey in the way Piaggio intended.  And so for the most part when I look at google maps, I simply select the route as if walking - its pretty well the straightest route and generally goes through some lovely little villages.  The trouble comes when riding your scooter and trying to work out which village comes next - there might be 20 or 30 villages or towns to pass through on a single leg of our trip and these are all places you've never heard of before.
Once again, if i was driving a car, I'd simply write these places out in a long list and sellotape it to the dashboard and check them off as I passed through - not so easy on a windy scooter with helmet and gloves on.
I had the brainwave to take a SatNav with me and plug in some earphones to give me spoken directions.  We have 2 different SatNav machines in our house,  mine has European maps, but no earphone output, and Daisys has earphone output but no European maps - so thats put paid to that idea (though I will take my device with me as a 'just in case' - we can always pull over for a coffee and find our bearings with it if we get totally lost).  Incidentally, I did find a very useful tutorial on how to modify an old TomTom One SatNav to incorporate a headphone jack (if you can be bothered. I cant)

map from lonelyplanet
So we are having to rely on written lists of milestone villages and towns.  Ive got a map wallet, that I use when I go walking, to hang round my neck and I guess we will just have to stop every now and then to check on our next milestone (wouldn't it be great if i had the skills of Derren Brown and I could simply commit the maps to memory)  I am sure this plan will work on our way to Harwich as we ride through places like Great Dunmow, and Copford ..... but I'm a little anxious about our luck when we get into Holland and start looking out for signs to places like Nederasselt, Vierlingsbeek, and Hardinxveld-Giessendam

No comments:

Post a Comment