Monday 18 April 2011

Turn right at the port (Tim)

As was only to be expected, we got away late - but who cares; the sun was shining and we were riding vespas along the coast roads of the Italian riviera. Scott leading, me blissfully and mindless following.
I love this sort of windy road riding, especially with the stunning views of the blue sea and bobbing white boats. As we wound our way north along the hilly coast roads, I resolved to make sure I spend more time out here doing this - it's perfect in every way... Well it was until we hit Genova. I have driven through Genova before by car, and I remember I couldn't wait to get out of there then either. The roads toward the port were so busy, you had to have eyes in the back of your head as trucks, cars, buses and thousands of motorbikes weaved in and out of each other. Scott did a Stirling job of decision-making out front.
Once out of the city and heading north, the road through the mountain pass to Alessandria was wonderful and snaked at just about the perfect pitch for an old Vespa. Once most of the signpost reading was done with I took the lead (I don't ride with my prescription glasses so I'm rubbish at reading approaching signposts) - we both agreed that it is far less stressful to follow the leader, so I was happy to give Scotty some relief.

At a set of traffic lights I lent across to Scott and shouted "Fancy a stop for a coffee?"
Scott pulled his sleeve back to reveal his watch and simply replied "no!"
We had only been on the road for what seemed like a short time but we were already running late! It seems to me that time speeds up when you ride a vespa.
We needn't have worried. After a 4.5 hour ride we arrived at the Alessandria Autozug with enough time to spare to supervise the lashing of the scooters to the train AND go get our last Gellatto of this trip

1 comment:

  1. I was just starting to panic when Scott said "no" to coffee. What a relief when you had time to supervise the lashing of the scooters.
    The next excitement is the long ride back through Holland I think, I look forward to the report.

    The ride along the coast sounds so great. I don't think Lands End to John O'Groates will offer the same experience.

    ReplyDelete