Thursday 7 April 2011

Good Vibrations (Tim)

I've just stopped for a leg stretch on a garage forecourt about 35 miles west of Harwich ferry. The scooter is fully loaded and looking like it's on a mission.
A van pulled up alongside me and the driver wound the window down as he admired the bike. I reached into my pocket ready to give him a badge to direct him to the blog. He produced a road map and asked;
"excuse me mate, are you local?"
FFS

The bike is vibrating a lot - the sort of vibrate that makes your fingers and toes tingle. I hadn't really thought about it much before Patrick at Scooter Surgery mentioned that it might be an out of balance crankshaft. In the solitude of my helment for the past couple of hours I've taken this comment and turned it into a disaster movie in the making. The trouble is, having never ridden a Vespa before, I don't know if this vibration is normal or not.
Well I have no option now but to press on. Looking forward to meeting up with Scott at the ferry port

1 comment:

  1. I guess that if it's possible it would be best to find a speed (rev range)that results in minimum vibration. This will reduce the forces involved. If it is the crank assembly prolonged vibration could damage the main bearings. Just take it gently and all will be fine.

    ReplyDelete