Tuesday 5 April 2011

We wont break down (Tim)

My mum phoned me last night to ask me if I had break-down cover for my scooter in Europe...... No, Wait! it wasn't my mum, it was my mate Andy.  Whatever, they both worry.

As it happens I dont have breakdown cover, here or in Europe.  Why would I need that?  I ride a Vespa!
Damnit though, he had started another niggling worry in my head.
I checked out a couple of online breakdown cover quotes;
GreenFlag said they wouldnt cover a vehicle over 16 years old
AA said they wouldnt cover a bike under 200cc
RAC said they would cover me for the trip for £148

Well that settled it then, I would go cover-less.  If I had need to be rescued I am sure that for something considerably less than £148 I could encourage a farmer with a tractor and trailer to give me and the sick scooter a lift to the nearest Piaggio dealer (afterall they are on every street corner in Italy aren't they?)

But Andys question had got under my skin, and I tossed and turned through the night as I visioned myself shoving a broken down Vespa through a dark and rainy night (I presume at this stage Scott will have buggered off and would be having a beer somewhere in the company of a little gathering of young Italian admirers)  So Ive just made a call (with my tail between my legs) to my insurance broker to ask about European breakdown cover.  The last time we spoke I scoffed at their outrageous attempts to sell me more and more bolt-on covers, and now here I was sheepishly asking for more.  Bikesure offered me a full 1 year UK breakdown cover and 60 days European cover for the reasonable sum of £57.  I took it.
I feel like Ive let myself down a little.  Wheres the adventure when you have breakdown cover, mobile phones and satnav?  At this rate I could travel across the continent without having to speak to any of the locals at all!
I txt Scott to tell him what I'd done, and did he think he should too?
He txt me back "You are gay"

1 comment:

  1. Both your mum and I feel much happier. And, Scotty will come to regret his taunt!

    ReplyDelete