Wednesday 6 April 2011

Great start (Tim :-)

Hoorah! A successful first leg.
I set off today because I live a little further away from Harwich than Scotty does who will make his first leg tomorrow when we both head for the ferry. And so my first stop is at my mum and dads.
The weather today was absolutely glorious. All that thermal gear that I bought from Aldi a few weeks ago got stuffed in bag and with only a t-shirt on under my jacket I was still sweating.
The journey went smoothly through towns and villages. I love the B roads and I had a couple of moments that my motorcycle freinds said I would experience eventually where the curves are just right and the bike flows through the bends like liquid - fantastic!
There were times when i had to use some busy A roads where the lorrys thunder past. I felt as if I was in a jousting contest with the on-coming lorrys as they slammed me with thier walls of air.

Door to door, the journey was 114 miles and it took me 5 hours. 5 hours!!
My top speed on the A roads was about 45mph but going through the villages does require a lot of stops and starts and this seems to really eat into your average speed.
As well as getting lost on a couple of occasions and having to check my iPhone for directions, I made 2 stops for fuel (8.5 lts in total) and had to stop once to adjust my clutch cable - it seemed to have stretched to a point where I couldn't change gear - should I be worried? - glad I had my tool kit with me

So if this is par for the course - we are going to be averaging 23mph. That Holland trip is going to be a looooong day!

2 comments:

  1. Beginnings and endings matter. This sounds like a propitious start. Happy trails all the way -- see you in Italy. In one piece, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloody hell. 165 miles in 9 hours. 18.333 mph average. Without breaks or fuel stops. It's going to be a long day! I have just done a drive by on Google maps, a few long stretches once we get out past Rotterdam, slowing again at the German border and the rest through to Dusseldorf. Slow start, quick middle, slow end. I'm rather worried/excited!
    Scotty

    ReplyDelete