Wednesday 20 April 2011

Nearly home (Tim)

We parted ways at a junction on the A12 just west of Colchester. It was emotional. And as soon as I was riding alone I promptly became lost (both in the geographical and metaphorical sense) - I am lost without Scott.
Strangely, I felt more anxious and vulnerable driving along the busy A120 and A12 than I ever had on the roads in Italy, Holland and Germany. Maybe I was just feeling tired or maybe the English port roads really are much busier and more dangerous. I got off the 'A' roads as soon as I could and soon felt much more at ease with the snaking country roads. But boy was it chilly! The sun was out but the difference in air temperature between Holland yesterday and England today was remarkable. I had to stop and dig into my luggage to find the wind-stopper that I'd discarded 2 weeks earlier.

I checked a couple of times on that dripping oil but couldn't see any sign of a "flow" of oil - it's certainly wet down there but I decided that it wasn't enough to do anything about it there and then (and then I crossed my fingers)

Poor old Scotty was heading straight off to work with a client. I, however was off to stay the night with mum and dad before the final leg to Birmingham. As can only be expected on a trip like this, it just so happened that my brother was at mum and dads too - with the engine from his recently (this week) purchased Garelli Capri scooter! No, I'd never heard of it either - it turns out that his is quite rare and is going to need a lot of TLC to restore [if any readers have any knowledge to share about Garelli's, my bro would be eternally grateful]
We spent a lovely couple of hours in dads garage prising the piston rings out of thier carbonised grooves. It certainly is a cute little engine / transmission unit but nothing will tempt me away from the Vespa. I love my Vespa

No comments:

Post a Comment