Monday 4 April 2011

Racks on (Tim)

When I ordered the racks (from both vendors) I didn't explicitly specify any particular sort other than wanting the front rack to be a clip-on and not a permanent bolt-on type.  I hadn't thought that there might be different sorts of racks, so I was surprised when I opened my 2 boxes to find 2 different styles of rear rack.  The front racks were virtually identical (I suspect that they are all manufactured in the same place anyway)

The rear rack from KnS scooters is designed to sit quite high on the bike, with the lower fixing low down on the mudguard and without a spring loaded fold down shelf.  By comparison the Classicorama rack has a spring loaded fold down shelf, sits lower and has the lower mounting holes higher up the mudguard (coincidentally in exactly the same position as the numberplate mounting holes).  I decided to go with the rack with the folding shelf - mainly because it provides a larger upright to strap your luggage too (however, not having to drill new mounting holes in the mudguard was an added bonus too)
I had seen on ebay some people selling large rubber feet for front racks to help spread the load and minimise damage to the leg-shield, but when I enquired about this with Kevin at KnS, he told me that the tube on these stainless steel racks was too small for these sort of feet.  The racks do come with a rubber bung type foot to stop scratching, but i was still worried that they might not be large enough to spread the load nicely, so a quick trip to B&Q and I bought a pair of those rubber tea-towel holders that look like a cats arse.  Carefully trimming out the 'gripping' part left me with the perfect large diameter rubber foot to fit over the existing rubber bung.

I have to say I wasn't really looking forward to putting racks on my scooter - i thought it would spoil the look of the lovely vespa shape, but now they are on, its not as bad as I had thought it might be.
However, looks aside, how would the bike now handle with the added weight of several meters of stainless steel tubing AND 2 bags of socks and a toothbrush?
I have decided to take my luggage in 2 'boat bags' (those watertight duffle bag style things), so in order to make a 'fully-laden' test run, I raided the airing cupboard and stuffed my bags with towels.  My wife was concerned about the acuracy of this test; "But what about the weight of your toiletries?" she asked.  I was a little taken aback; we've been married for 21 years, and yet she appears to have never looked into my travel wash bag.

Once strapped on and on the road, I was delighted to find that I noticed no difference in the handling of the bike.  I tried some round town cornering and some out of town dual-carriageway motoring - and all felt tight and positive.

I got home from my test run feeling mightily relieved.  As I parked up I very nearly dropped the bike onto the ground - it might well drive OK with that added weight, but lifting the bike up onto its stand is now quite a job!

2 comments:

  1. I never knew you had an interest in cats!
    Are those two bags really all you are going to take? Perhaps you would let me have a copy of your packing list, it could be useful when we go away in the TF. I guess there must be a formula about "what you take is dependent on the available space"
    I hope you checked out the stopping distance with load in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point - stopping distance IS longer with this extra weight on.
    AND now that I am packing my bags for real, they appear to be rather heavier than these ones shown in the photo. maybe Laurie was right - maybe my toiletries ARE heavy!

    ReplyDelete