Tuesday 5 April 2011

Why are we doing this? (Tim)

Some people have asked me recently, why are we doing this trip? It's a good question. I've been asking the same these past couple of days. I don't need the hassle, I've got work here that needs to be finished, and I can't really afford to spend money on a jolly like this. Some people have insinuated (in the nicest way) that my life must be pretty easy to be going off on a trip like this, but actually I think the easier option is to NOT create a hassle for yourself and continue as normal.

I can't speak for Scott, but I think I'm doing this for the challenge, though I have to keep reminding myself this. I like challenges and adventures and new experiences, but the paradox is that I don't really like rocking my foundations. I want my cake and to eat it too.
The truth is, I don't like leaving my family. I always feel low in the couple of days leading up to going away - even if the place I'm going to is fabulously exciting. Invariably though as soon as I've left them all behind I can focus on what lies ahead and I usually have a great time.
But there is another reason why I am doing this daft trip. I'm doing it because I can, and because I should. My mum is not very well at the moment and this makes me realise that it is almost our 'duty' to make the most of our healthy lives while we have the chance. I imagine there are many people who would love to have the health and energy to make daft trips and go on adventures and I wonder sometimes if it's almost an insult to those people if we simply let our good fortune and health go to waste by not living life to the max

Anyway, whilst I feel there is still heaps to get done before setting off tomorrow, I think I am now mentally ready. Whatever I may have forgotten to do now clearly wasn't important in the first place.
I want to get on with it now :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment