Thursday 21 April 2011

Tooth- hurty (Tim)

I split a tooth while I was in Italy. It was a dodgy tooth anyway but it was finally a bit of cheese-puff that beat it. As this coming weekend is a Bank holiday I was keen to blag an emergency dental appointment for as soon as I got home which meant being up at the crack of Dawn (again) for the final leg of my trip from Hertford to Birmingham.
I wasn't really looking forward to this stretch. Partly because it signified the end of our adventure and partly because I had done this journey a couple of times now and I presumed it would be a little bit boring.
However once on the road it became apparent that a remarkable thing has happened to me over the course of this scooter adventure; I have become a much better rider. I am faster, I am more confident of my ability, I am more aware of the traffic, and I am more confident of my machine. All combined this made for a rather exhilarating ride home. I got lost of course - well I would do without Scott there - but even so managed to knock 20% off the time it took me to do the run a few weeks ago.
I got home with 30 minutes to spare before my dental appointment; enough time to unload the bike, put it in the garage and change my smelly clothes. I am not ashamed to say that I gave my Vespa a kiss as I closed the garage door. I love that scooter. Tomorrow I shall give her a well deserved clean down and rid her of all the accumulated bugs, dust and traffic grime.

I came out of the dentist at exactly the right comedy moment (2:30) with one less tooth in my head. It wasn't exactly what I was planning as a celebration of a 1124 mile Vespa adventure

1 comment:

  1. Hallo boys,

    We are happy to read your arived save and sound at home. We have read this blog with pleasure about your adventure. Sorry for the trouble to pass Holland, but you made it and you are an experience richer. We liked the conversation in our small bedroom and wish you all the best.
    The dutch couple, Hetty and Leen
    mrwrist@xs4all.nl

    ReplyDelete